How do I obtain a business license in Las Vegas, Nevada?
First, anyone operating any type of business in Nevada must register with the Nevada Secretary of State and the Nevada Department of Taxation. For more information on registering with the State of Nevada, please see our Nevada Business License information page using this link: http://www.cityapplications.com/business-licenses/NV-Nevada/biz-Nevada.html
. The next step, after registering with the State of Nevada, is to fill out the business application for the city of Las Vegas.
The following list includes some of the key information you will need to provide to complete your Las Vegas Business License application:
- Employer Identification number (EIN) or Social Security number, as applicable
- Type of business entity: Corporation, LLC, Sole Proprietor, etc.
- Business opening date and hours of operation
- The following information for each of the owners or principals:
- Name, home address, and phone number, birthdate, title, percentage owned, valid driver’s license number
- A brief description of business activities you plan to conduct
- Number of professionals involved in your business operations
- Whether your business involves certain regulated activities, such as the sale of alcohol, gambling, sales, pawn shops, vending machines, real estate rentals, adult entertainment, etc.
Depending on the type of business you will be operating, there may be additional permits, licenses or other requirements that apply to your specific business. Follow this link to look up your type of business to determine if any additional requirements will apply. Some examples of the types of business that have additional requirements include:
- Assisted Living Facilities: Require an adult day care facility permit from the Nevada State Health Division
- Bakery/Restaurant, etc.: Will require a Health Permit
- Construction: Requires a contractor’s license
- Insurance business: Requires a state insurance license
- Manufacturing: Requires a waste water profile
All business must check that their proposed business location is properly zoned for the type of business that will be conducted by checking with the City of Las Vegas Development Services Center.
Most business must submit a completed business license application at least 30 days prior to starting business.
Las Vegas Business License fees will vary depending on the type of business you wish to operate. However, most businesses will require a fee of $150.00 ($100 license fee, plus $50 for processing). Check with the City of Las Vegas Business Licensing Division at (702) 229-6281 for assistance in determining your business license fees.
What if I plan to operate a home-based business?
After you fill out a business application for the city of Las Vegas, there are a few additional steps you will need to take to register a home-based business. After completing the following steps, bring your paperwork (business application, compliance letter from Department of Taxation, and, if applicable, a copy of your trust deed or letter of permission from the property owner) to 333 N. Rancho Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89106.
Step 1) Fill out the Las Vegas Business Application (be sure to fill out the second page of the application entitled ‘Home Occupation Permit Application’). The Home Occupation Permit Application requires that you certify that no other employees will be working at your home, that no on-premises advertising or signs are displayed at your home, and that the business will not create excess traffic or parking problems, as well as additional conditions and regulations.
Step 2) Varies depending on whether you rent or own your home:
- Recent Home Owners: If you recently purchased your home, bring a copy of your trust deed for your property
- Renters or Leasers: Bring a letter from the owner of the property granting permission for you to run a business at that address
Step 3) Provide proof of compliance with both the Nevada Department of Taxation and the Nevada Secretary of State, both located at 555 E. Washington Avenue, Las Vegas, NV, 89101. You will receive a compliance letter from the Department of Taxation.
There will be an additional $50.00 fee for a home occupation permit. This fee will be included in the fees for the Las Vegas Business License, and will be paid together at the time you submit your business application license.
What other types of business applications are available?
Additional types of business license applications that may be obtained from the City of Las Vegas website include:
- Short-Term Rental Permit Application
- Temporary Special Event Application
- Charitable Solicitations Permit Application
Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.