Apply For A Business License Bloomington, Indiana

In Bloomington, Indiana, is a business license required to operate a business?

Chances are that you won’t have to obtain any business licenses or permits to lawfully operate your business in Bloomington, Indiana. There are very few required business permits or certifications that a potential business owner must apply for. They are:

  • Vendor’s Licenses (through the State of Indian and Monroe County). Visit to learn more.
  • Alcoholic Beverage License (through the State of Indiana, not the city). Visit for details.
  • Contractor and Electrical Licenses
  • Arcade, Pool Room or Billiard Room        
  • Alarm Business                                                
  • Circus                                   
  • Carnival                                                               
  • Firearms Dealer                                               
  • Gasoline Pumps                                              
  • Massage Parlor                                                   
  • Masseur or Masseuse                                  
  • Merry-go-round                              
  • Museum
  • Itinerant Retailer                                             
  • Roller Skating Rink                                          
  • Secondhand Dealer                       
  • Shooting Galleries                                          
  • Taxi Cab or Transportation Company      
  • Theater                                                               

Visit for more information.

What should be done to ensure my Bloomington business location is permitted?

You must apply with the Bloomington Planning Department for a Certificate of Occupancy. All potential business owners must have their property inspected to ensure safety of its patrons and that the business type is allowed per zoning and City Ordinances. You may locate their webpage at, call (812) 349-3423, or write to:

City of Bloomington
Planning Department
P.O. Box 100
401 North Morton Street
Suite 130
Bloomington, Indiana 47402

What type of information will be needed for a Bloomington business license or permit?

The information that will be required is very basic. For the few permit applications and license applications that are available the information is generally:

  • Name of Applicant
  • Applicant’s Address
  • Applicant’s Phone Number
  • Property Owner’s Name
  • Property Owner’s Address
  • Property Owner’s Phone Number
  • Business Location
  • If you have been approved for alcohol serving and sale, what type of alcohol will be served and in what quantities
  • What type of vendor service: retail, service, delivery, or transient
  • Business Activity or Service Rendered
  • Applicant’s Signature and Date
  • Owner’s Signature and Date

Where can a business license application or permit application be sent in Bloomington?

Applications should be sent to the Monroe County Auditor at 100 West Kirkwood Ave, Rm 209, Bloomington, Indiana 47404. Call (812) 349-2510 or fax (812) 349-2280. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. You may want to visit the city website: You may also find the state’s website address useful:

Is there financial help or incentives for my Bloomington business?

Yes, there may be assistance. To find out whether or not you may qualify for grants or loans for your business, please contact the Department of Economic Sustainable Development at (812) 349-3418. The office is located at:

Department of Economic Sustainable Development
City of Bloomington
401 North Morton Street, Suite 150
Bloomington, Indiana 47402

Check out the website:

What should a vendor do in Bloomington, Indiana?

Most business owners will have to apply for a vendor license. There are three types of vendor licenses available: Peddler, Vendor or Hawker. If you wish to be a business owner in Bloomington, you must first register with the Monroe County Auditor State of Indiana. The application is found at You will also need vital information from the state’s website at You may also go in person to:

Monroe County Auditor
100 West Kirkwood Ave
Room 209
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
(812) 349-2510
Fax: (812) 349-2280
Open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m.

What are the differences between the three types of Indiana vendor licensing?

The definitions are:

Peddler’s License
: selling goods door to door
Vendor’s License: providing a business service
Hawker’s License: selling merchandise from various locations

What should a business owner do for an alcoholic establishment in Bloomington?

Licensing at the local level is not a requirement in order to run an alcoholic serving establishment. You will need to discover whether or not you will be able to open a liquor store. Per state law, one liquor license can be issued per a specific population density that does change after voting on occasion. You may call the State of Indiana Department of Taxation for information regarding whether or not you will be permitted to own or operate a liquor store or establishment. Call (317) 232-2430. Visit the state’s website for details

Next, you will need call (317) 652-5912 and request that the application be mailed or faxed to you. Some cities require their own permitting for alcoholic beverages along with the state. The City of Bloomington does as well. Visit their webpage to download the application.

Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission
Indiana Government Center South, Room E-114
302 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: (317) 232-2430
Fax: (317) 234-1520

What cost can be expected for a Bloomington, Indiana business permit or license?

The costs of the permits and licenses are as follows (this list is subject to change at any time):

  • Vendor’s Licenses (through the State of Indian and Monroe County). Visit
  • Alcoholic Beverage License (through the State of Indiana, not the city). Visit for details.
  • Contractor and Electrical Licenses
  • Arcade, Pool Room or Billiard Room - Speak to city regarding fees
  • Alarm Business - $150.00 annually   
  • Circus - $100 per day
  • Carnival - $500 per day
  • Firearms Dealer - $50.00 annually
  • Gasoline Pumps - $30.00 per pump
  • Massage Parlor - $185.00 annually   
  • Masseur or Masseuse - $85.00 annually
  • Merry-go-round - $15 per week until license is received
  • Museum - $10 per week until license is received
  • Itinerant Retailer - $100.00 annually
  • Roller Skating Rink - $185.00 annually
  • Secondhand Dealer - $50.00 annually
  • Shooting Galleries - $50.00 annually
  • Taxi Cab or Transportation Company - $250 annually plus $10 per vehicle
  • Theater - $25 annually

Visit for more information.

Are there any further questions or concerns?

If there are any remaining questions, please call Monroe County directly at

(812) 349-2510 for further details. If your license or permit type involves the State of Indiana, they may be reached at (317) 233-0800. The hours of operation for the City of Bloomington are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except for federal holidays.

Monroe County Auditor
100 West Kirkwood Ave
Room 209
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
Phone: (812) 349-2510
Fax: (812) 349-2280
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm

You may also find the City of Bloomington address useful:

City of Bloomington
401 North Morton Street
Suite 160
Bloomington, Indiana 47402
(812) 349-3400

Click the link to your city below to apply for a business license

Anderson Bloomington Elkhart
Fort Wayne Gary South Bend

There has never been a better time to get a degree. Even top Universities across the U.S. have joined the movement that’s allowing millions to get an education online. Business degrees are the perfect stepping stone for building a career, increasing earning potential, and ultimately growing your business.

Find out how to improve your knowledge and increase your earning potential by getting an online business degree. Click here to find the program that’s right for you.

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?