Apply For An Arkansas Marriage License

What do my fiance and I need to do to get married in Arkansas?

In order to be legally married, you must apply for and receive and marriage license and then have your marriage solemnized through a wedding ceremony. In order to get a marriage license in Arkansas, the bride and groom must file an application and pay the appropriate fees. Applications for marriage licenses must be filed in person by both the bride and groom with a County Clerk’s Office, but the license is good throughout the state and the couple does not need to be married in the county where the license was issued.

What information will the application require?

The bride and groom will likely need to provide their full names, social security numbers, addresses, and details of any previous marriages that either one had. Both parties will need to provide government issued ID as well. For people over the age of 21, a state issued driver’s license can serve as ID, but applicants under the age of 21 must present a birth certificate, valid passport, or military identification card in order for the license to be issued. If any of the parties are divorced from a previous spouse, they may need to present a copy of the final divorce decree as well. Exact requirements vary by county so it is best to check with the County Clerk’s Office prior to applying for the license.

What is the license fee in Arkansas?

The license fee is determined by the county where you apply and can vary, but the average price is $58. Applicants must pay in cash and the fee in nonrefundable.

Who can legally perform the wedding ceremony?

Numerous people are able to solemnize and legally marry couples in Arkansas. These are:
• The governor of Arkansas
• Any mayor of a city or town in Arkansas
• Retired justices of the Supreme Court of Arkansas
• Any justice of the peace, including retired justices who served at least two terms
• Any regularly ordained minister or priest of a religious denomination
• Any official appointed for that purpose by a court in the country where the marriage is performed
• Any elected district court judge
• A retired municipal or district court judge who served at least four years in that office

When does the license expire?

The license must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office, whether used or unused, within 60 days of issuance. If the wedding or solemnization of the marriage does not take place within 60 days of the license being issued, then the couple will need to reapply for a new license.


Fort Smith Jonesboro Little Rock
North Little Rock

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?