Apply For A Colorado Marriage License

My fiance and I are getting married. What are the legal requirements?

Couples who wish to marry must first apply for a marriage license and then have their marriage solemnized through a wedding ceremony. To apply for a marriage license, both the bride and groom must go to a County Clerk and Recorder’s Office to complete, sign, and file the license application. You will also need to pay the appropriate fees and present identification that shows your full name and date of birth in English.  

Do I need to be a resident of Colorado to apply for the license?

No, there is no residency requirement for either party. Also, once issued, the marriage license is good throughout the state. This means that you do not need to have the wedding in the same county as where you apply for the marriage license.

What information will I need to provide for the license?

Generally, both parties will need to provide their full names, dates of birth, social security numbers, and details of any previous marriage that they were a part of, including the date of termination, and the court, city, and state that granted the divorce. If the divorce was finalized less than 30 days before applying for the marriage license, then a copy of the final divorce decree will also need to be presented.

How much does the license cost?

The fee for a marriage license varies by county, but generally it is between $10 to $30.

Is there a waiting period?

No, unless there are complications, the license is issued the same day the application is filed and can be used immediately.

When should we apply for the license?

The license is good for 30 days after it is issued by the County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, so you should not apply for the license more than 30 days before the wedding is scheduled. If you do not get married within 30 days, you will need to reapply for a new license.

Are there limits on who can perform the wedding ceremony?

In Colorado, there are several types of people who can perform the ceremony and legally solemnize your vows.

They are:

• A current or retired judge
• A magistrate
• A public official who is authorized to perform marriages
• Any person who is recognized to be able to perform wedding ceremonies by a religious denomination, such as a priest, minister, or rabbi
• Any person recognized to be able to perform wedding ceremonies by an Indian nation or Indian tribe
• The people getting married Family or friends of the bride and groom can only perform the ceremony if they also meet one of the requirements above.  


Arvada Aurora Boulder
Colorado Springs Denver Fort Collins
Greeley Lakewood Longmont
Loveland Pueblo Thornton

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?