Apply For A Kansas Marriage License

What do I need to do to get a marriage license in Kansas?

To get a marriage license you must file and application and pay the license fee at the Office of the Clerk of Court in any district court in Kansas. Only the bride or groom needs to file the application in person, but both parties must sign the application for it to be processed. The license is good throughout the state so you do not need to get the license from the county where the wedding will take place.

What does the application ask?

The application asks that both parties give their full names, city and state where they reside, places of birth, and social security numbers. You will also need to swear that you and your spouse-to-be are not closely related by blood. You will also need to provide photo ID to prove your identity before the license is issued.

If either party was previously married, there may be additional documentation required to prove that the marriage was terminated.

Is there a marriage license fee?

The cost of the license fee depends on the county where you apply. For example, currently the fee in Douglas County is $69 while the fee in Shawnee County is $50. You can check with your local county by clicking on the links above.

Can we get married immediately after we receive the license?

No, there is a mandatory waiting period in Kansas of three days after the license is issued before it becomes valid and can be used.

When does the license expire?

The license is good throughout the state of Kansas for six months after it is issued. If you do not get married within that period, you will need to reapply for a new license at the Office of the Clerk of Court. The license fee is nonrefundable so if you do need to reapply, you will also need to pay the license fee again.  


Kansas City Lawrence Olathe
Overland Park Wichita

Search by State

To find more information about a business license in your state choose the state below.

Alabama Kentucky North Dakota
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
DC Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

This site is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, financial or tax advise. The information on this site should not be relied upon as an official source of information and should be independently verified.


Related Articles

Do You Like This Content?